Keeping Kids Creative

Dear Readers,

We have all heard the buzzwords of the knowledge-based economy - creative, innovative, resourceful.We are told that our students will need these abilities, not just facts and figures, to thrive in the workplace of the future. And we,their teachers, need to equip them through creative teaching. Hence, here I try to unravel the nuts and bolts behind these ideas, to find out what creative teaching is all about and how it can be implemented in the classroom.

Join Me and I will appreciate it very much if you sign in my guestbook and leave your comments.



Sunday, April 24, 2011

What I finally learnt......

Busy working on their extended project.

Recalling :
My task to my year 4 pupils was to carry out their own Character Quilt Projects on the short story Tidy Your Room, Tanya! I grouped them in groups of five and explained to them that they have to come out with the group projects and reward will be presented to the winner.

Firstly, I showed them a sample completed Character Quilt which I have done earlier. Then I explained on how to carry out the task. I provided to them a piece of grid manila card for each group which I have drawn the squares. They have to identify the main characters and the setting of the story. Then, they have to draw them in the squares. Finally, group representatives will act out some of the actions from the story based on what they have drawn on the Character quilts.

What surprised me so much was to see them cooperating together and coming out with the drawing. It was really a pleasant surprise to realize that many of them could draw very nicely and they have such great hidden talent in drawing and beautifying their masterpiece.

Acting out a part of the story :
The Film-maker with mother bear and her cubs

When the time comes for them to present their actions, I was again showered with surprises as I did not realize before this that my pupils could really act. They were not shy and they performed excellently based on their own understanding of the text.

Prizes for the winners
 That critical incident made me realized that I should not underestimate my pupils’ personal abilities. By giving them the tasks, I managed to finally uncover their hidden talents. I was really happy about that and promised to myself that I will continue planning different activities which will further enhance their personal talents and abilities.


The final product finally pasted on the wall of
my CCL Room

Another best product
                                       

No comments: